Overview of AWS (AMAZON WEB SERVICES)
Introduction:-AWS Is a subsidiary of Amazon which was launched in 2006 that provides on demand cloud computing platforms to individuals, companies, public or private sectors and government on a paid subscription basis and provide various services such as computing power, storage, database on as need basis.
- ON demand/On Time computing service- Just pay for the time you are using AWS Service-saving extra cost indeed. So you can grow and shrink your resources as per need.
- AWS acts as traffic handler-all overburdened data is managed by AWS
- No need to buy maintenance team separately
- No server upgrades because all this is going to be done by AWS itself
- AWS has its infrastructure across the world, so you can deploy your application in multiple physical locations with just a few clicks.
How it Works:-
Let us consider an example of simple website architecture where a user connect to internet and type a web address that address goes to DNS severs and get converted to IP address that point to some load balancer which is used to distribute the traffic among server.
Problems in this simple architecture:-
1:-what will happen in case when suddenly large amount of traffic comes in and server gets overburdened.
[Fig:-1.1-Simple website Architecture]
AWS cloud computing model-which automatically sense that server is getting burdened and add servers automatically and leads to situation normal.
AWS GLOBAL DATA CENTERS:-
- 24 Regions
- 76 Availability zones
- 205 Edge locations
- 11 Regional edge cache
- 175 fully featured services from data centers globally
Components/Terminologies used In AWS service Architecture:-
- Region-Independent geographical Areas, every regions contain typically 2 or more availability zones.
- Availability Zones-Multiple Isolated location or data centers under region. An availability zone (AZ) contain redundant power, networking, and connectivity in an AWS Region. So in case when one of AZ goes down then we can make use of other AZ thus providing higher availability feature.
[Fig:-1.2-AWS region and availability zones]
- EC2:-Elastic compute is a web service that lets users launch and manage server instances, and provide secure salable compute capacity in the cloud at any time and for as long as one needs.
Features supported under EC2 such as:-
- Increased Reliability
Amazon Relational Database Service (Amazon RDS) is a web service that makes it easier to set up, operate, and scale a relational database in the cloud. It provides cost-efficient and re-sizable capacity and manage various administration tasks such as hardware provisioning, database setup, patching and backups. Various Amazon RDS Data engines are as
- Amazon Aurora
- Maria DB
- SQL Server
Virtual Private Cloud (VPC)
Amazon virtual private cloud (VPC) acts as backbone for the security of system which allows us to use various services by AWS in your defined private space . You can customize your AWS resources, such as Amazon EC2 instances, into your VPC and can control incoming traffic by using security groups. You can manage various administrative tasks such as specify an IP address range for the VPC, add subnets, associate security groups, and configure route tables.
There are two types of VPCs:-
- Default VPC that is by default created by Amazon.
- Non-Default VPC that is created by you according to your security needs.
Amazon Route 53
Route 53 is a scalable and highly available DNS(domain name system) which convert the web address to IP address in the same way as DNS works and it is one of main component in AWS service.
Load balancing is a process of dividing a incoming traffic to multiple available servers (EC2 instances in environment of AWS).In this way we can handle failure of downstream instances seamlessly.
Fig:-1.3-Traffic managed by Elastic load balancer
ELB In AWS:-Elastic Load balancer is one of service of AWS in which AWS will take care of functioning of all load balancer, server upgrades, maintenance and availability.
Types of ELB:-
- Classic ELB-came in 2009
Classic Load Balancer provides basic functionality for all over multiple Amazon EC2 instances and worked upon at the request level as well as on connection level.
- Application ELB-came in 2016
This one is best suited for load balancing of HTTP and HTTPS traffic. It provides much advanced feature as compared to classic ELB. It supports request routing targeting delivery of modern applications.
- Network ELB-came in 2017
Network Load Balancer is responsible for manage traffic of Transmission Control Protocol (TCP), User Datagram Protocol (UDP) and Transport Layer Security (TLS) traffic where extreme performance is required.