DWM Process consuming CPU in Windows Platform
Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) is a compositing window manager that renders all those pretty effects in Windows: transparent windows, live taskbar thumbnails, Flip3D, and even high resolution monitor support.
On Working on the Windows Server, I found that dwm.exe process is consuming lot of CPU and made the system in hanged State.
On checking the net regarding it. It show one service name Desktop Window Manger need to be disable but i tested on my machine first before doing on porduction Server in Windows 7, Desktop Window Manager is present in the Service list. On stop the service, it refresh the monitor display but does not have much effect in resolution.
But when tried on Windows 2012 Server, Service is not present
For Windows 7 disable steps as follows
1. Click the Start button to open the Start menu.
2. In the Windows Search box, type services and click the Services link.
3. In the Services window, search and double-click Desktop Windows Manager.
4. In the Desktop Windows Manager window, Right click to disable the service.
5. If you want this process never to start when Windows loads, change the Startup type option from Automatic to Disabled.
On Windows 2012, Service is not present you need to apply bug fix as follows: