Enable or disable block change tracking for RMAN Backup
Block Change Tracking Feature introduce in Oracle 10g which records the modified since last backup and stores the log of it in a block change tracking file. During incremental backups RMAN uses the log file to identify the specific blocks that must be backed up.
Benefits: This improves RMAN performance as it does not need to scan complete data files to detect changed blocks.
Logging of changed blocks is performed by the CTWR process which is also responsible for writing data to the block change tracking file.
For Enable the Block Change Tracking For RMAN
1. Check the status of block change tracking
2. Take a location of file and enable the block change tracking
3. Verify the block change tracking status
1. It’s only work under Enterprise edition
2. It’s used only for RMAN Incremental backup
Disable block change tracking:
1. Disable the block change tracking
2. Check the status